rickyg's world

Just my random ramblings on my life and other things that might interest me at the time. For the summer and fall this will probably be populated with my ramblings about the Saskatchewan Roughriders CFL football team.

Friday, September 29, 2006

It's the night before gameday and I think I've got everything ready for tomorrow. I feel really good about the Riders chances this week, maybe too good. The team only practiced twice this week but they looked sharp. Kerry Joseph had his very best week of practice that I've seen. He looked very good. I think this will be the week we have been waiting for. Joseph will finally break out and dominate a team.

This week was really fun for us. This summer Saskenergy put on "Wear your Green Day" downtown. They had a "Fan Idol" contest and my 6 year old son Terry got up in front of the crowd and sang "Green is the Colour". Of course he won and took home $200 worth of Rider gear. Then they had a "Wackiest Fan" contest. I was there in my full costume and really there were other people dressed up but nobody as hardcore as I was. And of course with my luck it started raining and they didn't announce a winner for that contest. But they did take our family picture and used it in the new "Roughriders Charity Calendar" with all proceeds going to "Kerry's Catch for Kids" which is a great cause so buy a calendar. The Wheatheads also got into the calendar, but it's my blog so it's mostly about me and my family. But Daryl and Keiri are great people. I hope I got their names right. Anyway enough backstory. Because we are in the calendar we got invited to the VIP reception for the launch. And they brought in Donald Narcisse for the weekend. So there I was in the Green and White lounge with all these Regina bigshots in the business community and Narco was there. I got a few pics with him and talked to him a little bit. He is still one of the nicest people I have ever met. He signed my calendar along with Kerry Joseph, Andrew Greene, Scott Schultz and Roger Aldag. I think I was the only one who realised that Roger was also in the calendar and got him to sign. Roger is also a very nice guy. I hadn't seen him all season until the day before the launch and he rememberd my name and talked a little bit about the away game in Edmonton where I ended up spending about half the caberat after talking to him and his cousin. Anyway I mentioned to Narco when I was getting my picture taken that it would be cool to have a pic with him and me in my costume. So he asked where I sit and said he will come over for the pic on Saturday. And when I seen him this afternoon at the Cornwall Center he still said he was coming on Saturday for the pic. So I'm like a little kid looking forward to Christmas. And before I finish this thing I have to mention another ex-player who is a great guy. Cleveland Vann. I met him at the Wear your Green day and got a pic with him when I was in costume. And I got a pic with him last night with me lloking "normal". I asked him if he could sign the costume pic sometime and he told me to call him at work or leave the pic in the Rider office and he would be happy to sign it for me. I chose to leave it at the office because I don't want to bug him at work. I thought he would talk to me for a minute and then move on but 5 minutes later we were still talking. A very nice man and one of my heros from my youth.

Anyway my ramblings are worse than ever today. Thanks for reading. And buy the calendar, $20 at the Rider Store with all proceeds going to KidSport. And if you don't have a ticket for the game hurry up and get one because this will be a great game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home